Friday, September 10, 2010

Off to a Great Start!

Hi all,

We are off to a windy and rainy start thanks to Earl. In the classroom we are settling into our routines and have gotten right down to work. The kids are great and so cooperative! Please help them to remember to bring their planners and homework each morning to school. If you write a note in the planner for me remind your child to show it to me. This is an important organizational skill in second grade. If you ever have any questions or concerns about homework send me an e-mail or note. I try to check my email each morning.

We have started our science unit on insects. If you have any interesting objects, dead insect bodies, or books we would love to see them. In math we have started the first unit and completed the beginning assessment. Formal homework for the units will start by the end of the month. This Monday the children will bring home their first list of spelling words. Each night there will be a spelling assignment to go along with the spelling words. Soon they will bring home a reading folder. In the folder is a book for reading aloud and a signature sheet. please record the pages/chapter read and return each morning to school. They are checked each day. The children should be able to read the book easily and fluently so if they struggle, please let me know. Likewise if the reading is too easy.

I am looking forward to a wonderful year with your children and value the trust you have placed in me. It will be great to meet all of you at open house. Have a good weekend! My best.

No comments:

Post a Comment